Comprehensive Online Casino Reviews
A high density of online casinos makes the Canadian gambling market very competitive. Hundreds of local and offshore sites troop in regularly, making it difficult for players to keep up. Our reviews come in right then to ease the situation.
Rather than randomly trying out casinos, as the risk of getting scammed, our reviews will tell you at a glance which sites are worthy of your time and resources. Our experts carry out extensive research on these sites down to background checks on the operators. So we only recommend the safest and most reliable online casinos.
Difference Between The Online Casino and Land-Based Casino
Land-based casinos in Canada have continuously welcomed players for decades. They contribute to the bulk of the country’s total gambling revenue. Online casinos, though relatively new, have also garnered widespread fame because of their convenience. However, these two casino types differ largely from each other.
|Land-based casinos||Online casinos|
|Requires your physical presence at the casino||Allows convenient gaming from the comfort of your home|
|Can offer coupons for free drinks and meals||Numerous bonuses and promos|
|Real-life gaming and player interaction||Games are run by software programs|
|Instant cash payouts at the cashier||Payouts require verification and take time to process|
|Games feature lower payout percentages||Possibility of higher returns|
The convenience and higher returns of the online casino have seen it increase at a much higher rate than land-based sites.
How To Register At The Online Casino Canada
The best casinos offer a simple registration process. Generally, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Pick a casino from our list of top-rated gambling sites.
- Head to the casino online website and click on “Sign up” or “Register.”
- Fill in the registration form with the required information. Typically, you will have to enter your name, age, e-mail address, etc.
- You will also need to verify your account with some proof of identity and residence. A national ID, an international passport, a utility bill, or a bank statement will do. Some sites will leave this step until you request a withdrawal.
- Click confirm.
Are Online Casinos Legal In Canada?
Gambling laws are pretty liberal in Canada. There are nearly 100 casino houses with more than 100,000 slot machines, not to mention table games. Sports betting, lottery as well as racing are all regulated by the state.
Online casinos are also legal, but the regulations guiding them are a bit tricky. Players are free to visit offshore online sites, but local based online casinos are illegal. Online casinos are further subject to provincial and territorial laws. This means that individual regions have the autonomy to manage online casino gaming in their jurisdictions.
The Kahnawake Gaming Commission is the most prominent local licensing authority. It was established by the Kahnawake Mohawk Nation in 1996 and currently claims the sovereign rights to license and run casinos within the Canadian borders. They can operate casinos freely, where private operators would be prosecuted under the criminal code.
Types of Online Casinos in Canada
With online gaming, players have different types of casinos to choose from.
- New casinos: These sites are the latest names on the block and offer competitive bonuses. They feature the latest software so you can expect to find the most modern games.
- Online casinos no download: At no download casinos, you can access the library of slots and table games in instant play.
- No account casinos: Unlike the standard casino structure, this type of online casino will not require you to register or create an account.
- Mobile casino: These casinos allow players to access the site through their mobile devices. Hence, you can play even while on the move.
- Real money casino: At real money casinos, you get to play online with real money and potentially win real cash rewards.
- Live casino: Here, we a mix of traditional land-based gaming and virtual casinos. Live casino games are broadcast in real-time from actual casino studios for players to stream at the online casino.
Your Expert Casino Gambling Solution at True-Casinos.com
Are you looking for just a bit of fun, or hoping to walk away with some cash? Where you choose to play depends on what you prefer, what games you like and what you hope to gain from your gaming experience. Players are different and so are their preferences.
Keeping this in mind, our specialized team of industry experts seeks to provide an all-round solution to players. With years of online casino testing experience, we are skilled at deciphering the most reputable casino suppliers. Our casino guides will provide Canadian players with the knowledge to avoid mistakes and choose the perfect casino haven.
Our Casino Review Criteria
Before we dive into our review criteria, we’d like to emphasize that we maintain an unbiased and professional approach to all betting sites we review. Our casino ratings depend on how well these sites fare in our assessment.
We test casinos based on the following parameters:
- Gambling licenses
- Security and transparency
- Speed of registration
- Customer service
- Responsible gambling
- Bonuses and promos
- Casino software
- Deposit methods
- Fast payouts
- Feedback from real players
We’ll be expanding on some of the main points.
A Legitimate Casino License
A casino has to have a license before we even consider any other aspects. This is because a license is the greatest guarantee of safe online gambling in Canada. We look for top licensors like
- The Malta Gaming Authority (MGA)
- The UK Gambling Commission, and
- The Curacao Gaming Authority
These bodies are recognized internationally and adhere to stringent rules. To confirm that a site is truly licensed, there should be a logo of the licensing body at the site’s footer. At True-Casinos.com, we blacklist any casino that operates without a license.
Reliability and Safety
Cyber attacks pose great harm to players, so the minimum casino security requirement is 256-bit SSL encryption. This protocol codes every player’s information and promotes safe and secure transactions. We make sure to spot an SSL certificate somewhere on the casino.
Besides external attacks, you also need to be sure that the site is honest. RNG testing is proof that the casino does not rig its games to disfavour players.eCOGRA is the leading organization for fair play control, and a logo of the service provider should be proudly displayed on the site. Other renowned RNG audit services are TST and iTech Labs.
Reputation Among Real Players
You’d probably want to visit a site with a good reputation and stay away from one with a bad track record. The same goes for our casino review procedure. We check to see if there have been any player complaints about the site. If yes, we assess the gravity of the complaints and how they have been resolved.
Our experts also follow casino forums to get a clear perception of how real players view a particular site. The level of customer satisfaction plays a role in determining whether or not a casino makes our list.
A Variety of Online Casino Games
The best online casinos for Canadians should have a variety of the best online casino games. A library packed full of online slots, online blackjack, baccarat, craps, poker, bingo, keno, and more is sure to provide non-stop excitement.
Online casino game rules are also fairly easy to grasp. With chance-based gaming machines like slots, there is no strategy required. New players will be able to get the hang of it in a few seconds.
Table games do require a bit of insight and experience, nonetheless, the rules are straightforward. For instance, with blackjack, you only need to learn Basic Strategy to get a good grip on the game.
Luckily, there are no restrictions on games. You can play every game type at the casino, as long as you’re of legal gambling age. These games are fun, but not only. The titles by the best software developers are also quite visually impressive.
Free Play Games
There is no deposit required when playing for free. You can sign in and begin spinning the reels on your favorite slots, hitting on blackjack or having a go at the craps table. Casinos often allow you to access games in free play mode, as many developers provide a free version of their games alongside the real money variant.
With free games, you get to play with free chips from the casino. These games are a good way for beginners to wrap their head around the gameplay. It’s also an excellent way to enjoy carefree gaming.
Real Money Online Casino Games
Players in Canada go berzerk for real money games, and the most played titles include:
You will have to set aside a casino bankroll to play real money games. However, the thrill of putting down a buck or two in the hopes of landing a royal flush at the poker table makes it very much worthwhile.
The concept behind the casino is founded on real money betting, so having real money games is fundamental. Not all games may be available for free, but you can certainly play any game of your choice for a wager.
Playing for real money also makes you eligible to claim the best casino bonuses. You stand a chance to win hefty sums without losing out on the entertainment factor.
High RTP Games
RTP may sound like a very technical concept. But it really just means how much of the total wagers a game will pay back to players in the long run. Without going too much into details, you will want to play games with payout rates of 96% and above. That is the benchmark recommended by our experts.
Here are some of the highest RTP games:
- Single Deck Blackjack – 99.5%
- Goblin’s Cave (Playtech) – 99.3%
- Mega Joker (NetEnt) – 99%
- Ooh Aah Dracula (Barcrest) – 99%
- Craps – 98.6%
- 1429 Uncharted Seas (Thunderkick) – 98.6%
- Baccarat – 98.5%
- Three Card Poker – 98.5%
- Jokerizer (Yggdrasil) – 98%
- Blood Suckers (NetEnt) – 98%
- Caribbean Stud Poker – Up to 97.08%
Top Online Slots
Slots have a massive fan base among players in Canada. These games are elementary yet versatile. There are several categories of slots, depending on the gameplay and features that they possess.
- Classic slots: Here, you have 3 reels with standard 9 paylines. Classic symbols include horseshoes, bells, bar icons, etc
- Fruit machines: These can have up to 10 paylines and often have extra features like wild symbols and jackpots. The symbols are usually bright coloured fruits.
- Video slots: These can have thousands of paylines. Features span wilds, scatters, bonus icons, expanding symbols, mini-games, jackpots, and more. Video slots have high-quality graphics and can pay out hefty sums.
- 3D slots: These have all the qualities of video slots, but they also feature 3D animations. They are the most innovative slot games.
You can find as many as a thousand of these slots at the best Canadian casino sites.
Jackpot Slots and Progressives
Many online slots feature one or more jackpot prizes. Jackpots promise a hefty return and usually trigger when you land a particular combo of symbols.
Progressive slots also come with jackpots, but at much higher sums. They aren’t called millionaire makers for no reason – the biggest ones seed at a C$1 million. The amount of the pot is not fixed but continues to grow as more players wager at the casino.
With network progressives, bets are pooled from hundreds of lobbies on an international level until lady luck shines on that random player who wins the money. Most prominently, Microgaming’s Mega Moolah won the Guinness world record in 2015 for paying out a sum of €17,879,645.12. It set a new record with a whopping €18.9 million payout in 2018.
Mega Moolah also shares progressive jackpots with the Mega Vault Millionaire game. This is exclusive to Jackpot City Casino and players get one chance to become an instant millionaire simply for signing up.
Other popular progressives among Canadians are:
- Mega Fortune (NetEnt)
- Major millions (Microgaming)
- Divine Fortune (NetEnt)
- Aztec’s Millions (Playtech)
- Hall of Gods (NetEnt)
A casino with the right mix of jackpots and progressives will offer lots of variety for real money players.
Players looking for a bit of recreation will be delighted with the array of free slot options at the best Canadian casinos. There are titles in all genres and with all styles of gameplay. You can go simple with free classic slots or experience the most innovative features with free 3D slots.
You don’t need to make deposits before you begin playing, since the casino provides you with free credits. Even though you won’t be winning real money, the best online casino free slots will certainly leave you highly entertained.
Real Money Slots
These are identical to free slots. However, you’ll need to deposit before you can begin playing. With real money slots, payline combinations award cash wins. You also benefit from multipliers, instant credits and other in-game bonus features. Jackpots will only trigger when you bet actual wagers.
Many players favour real money slots because they provide the opportunity to win large amounts of money. However, with this kind, you need to pick games more carefully. To increase your chances of winning, you’ll want those with several paylines, lots of bonus features and one or two jackpots. You may want to opt for a video slot rather than a classic if you’re looking for more profits.
A couple of titles are extremely popular among players in Canada, including:
- Mega Moolah (Microgaming)
- Immortal Creatures (Microgaming)
- Gonzo’s Quest (NetEnt)
- Jungle Jim Eldorado (Microgaming)
- Book of Dead (Play ‘n Go)
- Book of Ra (Novomatic)
- Cleopatra (IGT)
- Seven 7s (Microgaming)
- 9 Masks of Fire (Microgaming)
Recognized Payment Methods
The top payment methods are internationally renowned and very reliable either for deposits, withdrawals or both. A variety of banking options should include card payments, e-wallets, bank transfers and more. At the best Canadian online casinos, you can find the following:
- Visa: The popular choice for deposits, Visa allows you to transfer funds instantly.
- Mastercard: This international payment method is also commonly used for deposits.
- Paysafecard: As a prepaid payment solution, it’s best suited for small deposits. It also doesn’t require credit or debit cards.
- Maestro: Players can deposit through this card payment solution similarly to Visa and Mastercards.
- Paypal: At the casino, you can use Paypal for deposits and withdrawals
- Skrill: This electronic wallet offers quick deposits and has a standard withdrawal processing time of 24 hours.
- Ecopayz: With Ecopayz, players benefit from having all their deposits and withdrawal transactions available through one secure payment method.
- Direct bank transfer: Players can move money directly from their bank account to the casino and back. Bank transfers are slower and may take a few days to clear.
Step-by-Step Instructions For Depositing At The Best Online Casino Sites
Whether you’re making your first deposit or reloading your account, you can do so in these quick and easy steps:
- Sign in to the casino either on your web browser or mobile app.
- Open the cashier tab under your profile.
- Click on deposits and choose your preferred payment method from the list.
- Enter the amount you would like to credit into your account. Note that at this point you may have to opt-in for the casino welcome bonus or input any available bonus codes.
- Confirm the transaction.
Quick and Efficient Payouts
The endgame of casino gaming for most players is winning a bit (or a lot) of cool cash. Having to wait on a payout for weeks or months can be a real downer. That is why at True-Casinos.com, our assessment extends to payout speeds, and the quicker, the better.
That said, withdrawals generally take longer than deposits because many online casinos require additional documents to verify players’ identities. The payment service provider also plays a role, so you should find out the processing time of your chosen cashout method. Nonetheless, payouts should take no longer than a few days.
Casino Software Manufacturers
Canadian casino operators with many software manufacturers are more likely to have a larger library of games. Better still if these names are the biggest among game providers in the industry. The top developers right now include:
- Microgaming: By now, the name Mega Moolah rings many bells thanks to its millionaire-making track record. This developer is the brains behind it and other fantastic slots like Immortal Romance and Major Millions.
- NetEnt: Gonzo’s Quest, Starburst and Blood Suckers are huge player favourites across the globe, courtesy of NetEnt. This provider’s games always deliver high-quality graphics, sounds, features and storylines.
- Playtech: Playtech releases about 50 new games every year spanning slots, table games, poker variants and more. The developer is also mobile inclined.
- Evolution Gaming: Known for producing the best live dealer games, Evolution Gaming has released titles like Live Roulette, Live Blackjack, Live Dream Catcher, Monopoly Live, and more.
Attractive Bonuses For New and Existing Players
Bonuses have become an online casino standard, and it is hard to picture a site that doesn’t offer one. There are different kinds of bonus offers available. New players can claim:
- The welcome bonus – Welcome bonuses can either be a match deposit offer, free spins on slots or a combination of both. A typical example is 100% bonus up to C$500 + 50 free spins on Book of Dead.
- No deposit bonuses – This kind is entirely free because it automatically activates upon registration without an initial deposit.
On the other hand, existing players can avail of:
- Reload bonuses – These are available to claim after your first deposit. They are match bonuses to a percentage of your deposit.
- Cashbacks – With cashbacks, the casino returns a percentage of your losses in prizes.
- VIP/Loyalty Rewards – These casino rewards are part of a VIP or loyalty program. You win prizes for every achievement you make.
When bonuses are concerned, a generous amount should be accompanied by reasonable wagering requirements. The top casino sites will have transparent wagering conditions with no hidden strings. You can visit Yukon Gold Casino to claim an amazing welcome package of 125 free spins on massive jackpots + up to C$150.
Atmospheric Live Dealer Games
The older generation of casino gamers often sticks to the conventional. To these players, betting against real dealers, with actual cards and real-time shuffling is more thrilling than software-based online gaming.
Thanks to the live casino, players can now visit the best physical lobbies without having to take the trip there. At the same time, fans of the virtual casino setting still enjoy all the benefits of online gaming.
Live dealer games draw in players in greater numbers because it is a middle ground that’s able to cater to different tastes. Not to mention that they are massively entertaining.
The casino industry is nothing if not innovative, and it never falls behind the trend. The latest games support mobile gaming, and so do the best casinos. Desktop gaming is less convenient than playing on mobile. You’d have to lug the former around, while the latter is a handy companion in these modern times.
With desktop gaming, you get a larger screen, but the games’ visual aspect often leaves more to be desired. On the contrary, mobile games are very modern. They are designed with the latest technology, so they sport eye-catching graphics and amazing gameplay features.
Nowadays, many casinos do not just offer a mobile-specific website, but they also provide mobile casino apps to make gaming even easier. There are specialized apps for Android and iOS devices. They are readily available on the Play Store and App Store, or directly through the casino website.
With web browsers, you can access games in instant play with no download required. Whereas with the mobile app, all you need is a one-time download of the app. Since you already take your phone everywhere, the casino will come along with you. Whether mobile-specific or with a special mobile offering, a mobile casino is essential at the best sites.
You will most definitely have to contact the customer service team at least once when playing at an online casino. Whether for inquiries on deposits, withdrawals, or casino offerings, quality service allows you to have a smoother gaming experience.
The common ways to contact the casino support team are through:
- Live chat – At the top sites, a representative is available 24/7.
- E-mail – You can send your questions to the casino’s official e-mail or help center.
- Telephone: You can call the helpline to speak to a casino representative
- Telegram – This contact method requires you to fill in a simple form explaining what you need help with. The casino should reply within 24 hours.
Responsible Gambling Practices
Responsible gambling is a group of practices or policies laid down to help curb excessive gambling. In case you ever need help with gambling addiction, you’ll want to be playing at a site that advocates this concept.
The best online casinos provide self-exclusion limits, time out limits, and deposit limits to fight gambling addiction. Other measures include account tracking and reality check protocol. The former helps you monitor your betting patterns, and the latter is a reminder for when you need to take a break or quit playing.
Tips and Tricks for Online Gambling
When gambling online, it pays to be a smart bettor. However, you don’t need years of experience to achieve this. Following these tips will do the trick:
- Always play at a licensed and safe casino. Any of our recommended casino sites will do.
- Take advantage of no deposit offers and other casino bonuses.
- Try out free games before you play with real money.
- Look for games with the highest RTP values.
- Don’t stick to one casino. Check out the competition and sign up on several of the best online casino sites.
- Try your luck with progressive jackpots. That million-dollar prize may just be waiting for you.
At True-Casinos.com, Canadian players can compare the best online casino sites and play for free or real money. We’ve made the road easy by letting you in on what to look for as well as tips for successful betting. With our casino list, you have a shortcut to the otherwise arduous journey.
The best casinos are legitimate, with a diverse collection of games and savoury bonuses. You get the most reliable payment options, and a live casino and mobile casino do a great job of cranking up the gaming action.
Casino gambling is always a fun experience, and as an expert in the industry, I’ve realized that it’s much easier to soar when real money gambling isn’t so restricted. Canadian players have several gaming platforms, thanks to the freehand over online gambling.
With this guide, you certainly have a good head start on your casino gaming journey. New players dipping their feet into gambling waters for the first time will be able to navigate through the waves. Seasoned bettors will also have a trustworthy resource for all the latest goings-on and the juiciest offers on the market.
Best Online Casinos FAQ
Is gambling popular in Canada?
70% of the population engages in one form of gambling or the other and casinos, in particular, account for the highest revenue of over $5 billion. So it’s safe to say that gambling is popular in Canada.
Can I play with Canadian dollars at the online casino?
Yes, the casinos on our list all accept deposits in Canadian dollars. Payouts are processed in the local currency as well. This means you can forget about calculating conversion rates.
Can I claim a welcome bonus more than once?
Welcome bonuses are usually available for newbies to claim just once. After your first deposit, you are technically not a new customer anymore. However, you will then be eligible for existing player bonuses like reload offers and loyalty rewards.
What games are the best to play at the top online casinos?
You can play casino classic games like blackjack, baccarat, roulette and poker. There are numerous slots and specialty games like bingo and lotteries. You could also pick a game to play from the live dealer section.
Do Canadian online casino sites accept Skrill?
Skrill departed the Canadian online gambling scene at the start of 2014, so at the moment, players cannot carry out Skrill deposits or withdrawals. Alternative e-wallets are Neteller and Ecopayz.